End Fossil Fuels Now
Extinction Rebellion South Australia
Extinction Rebellion South Australia brilliantly targeted fossil fuel industry events in waves of ongoing, disruptive civil disobedience actions. End Fossil Fuels Now!
Wave 1 - Blockade the Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference
17th - 19th October 2022
The first wave of action began in October 2022 and centered on a blockade of the Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition (APOGCE) at the Adelaide Convention Centre. Read our news item to find out what happened during the conference – and after!
Wave 2 - Santos Tour Down Under
13th - 22nd January 2023
In January 2023, Extinction Rebellion South Australia challenged the sportswashing and greenwashing of a fossil fuel giant and sent a clear message to the South Australian government: Dump Santos! How did they do it?
- XR SA rebels glued themselves to a pile of bikes outside the Santos head office and poured a trail of fake oil from the building.
- Rebels gate crashed the TDU Team Presentations at the Tour, with a 'Dump Santos' message. See the News item on this website.
- A group of courageous women ranging in age from 58 - 78 bared breasts and bums during the Women's Stage One race, garnering significant media attention. There were three arrests. Watch the video on FB.
- Rebels disrupted the TDU Prologue Race in Adelaide, staging a die-in and crashing live television crosses of the event. Watch the media story on FB.
- There was a surprise banner swarm ahead of the Men's Stage 2 race in Brighton.
- Two rebels donned the ‘Dump Santos’ message as they crossed the finish line for the gruelling TDU Challenge Tour. They were followed by seven rebels who joined the tour in the final stretches.
- Minutes out from the TDU Criterium race, rebels chucked buckets of black paint and sprawled the message ‘Dump Santos’ across Santos HQ in Adelaide. Watch the video on FB.
Throughout the Tour Down Under rebels painted the streets with the ‘Dump Santos’ message and held a strong presence with banners at various stages along the route.
Wave 3 - Protest APPEA
15th - 18th May 2023
From Sunday 14 through to Thursday 18 May, Extinction Rebellion, together with many other groups, carried out a relentless wave of actions opposing The Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association (APPEA) conference in Adelaide.
Find out more in our News article about XRSA at APPEA: a week protesting state sell-out to oil and gas corporations including:
- community rallies 'unwelcoming' delegates as they arrived and left town
- a visit to the SA Drill Core Reference Library in Tonsley
- an APPEA Climate Criminal Awards ceremony
- decorating the headquarters of climate vandals Santos with fire hydrants filled with water-based paint .
- and an original theatre protest performance: the frack'd, led by the same brave rebel who abseiled from Morphett St Bridge, closing the bridge and parts of North Terrace.
The message of the APPEA protests was resoundingly clear: End fossil fuel expansion now to avert complete breakdown of our natural systems and keep our planet habitable.