Calling rebels! With less than a decade to implement BIG CHANGE we need to step this movement up. Extinction Rebellion has inspired many world-wide, and there is growing local front-line resistance to the Adani mine, and other mining projects. We need big, bold actions with climate JUSTICE at their heart.
This full day training is for people interested in Extinction Rebellion, and the movement to stop fossil fuel extraction, and work for climate justice. Old and new activists welcome. It will include:
* What makes for an effective action? Theories of successful action design, plus practical roles and action planning.
* What are your legal rights? We will explain how to navigate the legal system
* How do we get our story out there… so you have designed an awesome, creative and colourful action? How to manage media and boost your story on socials
* Learn more about powerful nonviolent resistance and how peaceful protest has been part of successful campaigns and social movements worldwide
* What is nonviolent conflict, and how do we de-escalate and keep things peaceful if we are stretching out of our comfort zone
The event will be facilitated by Nicola Paris and Lilli Barto.
Please bring food to share, a water bottle and a note book. Wear comfortable clothes for practical exercises.
The event is suitable for people old and new to social change, grassroots activists, people working in organisations involved in any type of progressive change who want to create better, bolder events and actions and care about climate and social justice. We are aware some training has been offered for free. We are asking for some small fees to cover some of the time and expense.
We support family friendly events – child care is not provided but children may be welcome, pending available space.
Aboriginal people are welcomed at no cost. We pay respects to the traditional custodians, on whose land this event takes place. Sovereignty was never ceded.