ABOUT EXTINCTION REBELLION
WHO WE ARE?
We are you!
You are welcome to join us and participate, you don’t need our permission, as long as you agree to follow the core principles and values of Extinction Rebellion.
PRINCIPLES & VALUES
- WE HAVE A SHARED VISION OF CHANGE
Creating a world that is fit for generation to come.
- WE SET OUR MISSION ON WHAT IS NECESSARY
Mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – using ideas such as momentum-driven organising to achieve this.
- WE NEED A REGENERATIVE CULTURE
Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- WE OPENLY CHALLENGE OURSELVES AND THIS TOXIC SYSTEM
Leaving our comfort zones to act for change.
- WE VALUE REFLECTING AND LEARNING
Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contacts as well as our own experiences.
- WE WELCOME EVERYONE AND EVERY PART OF EVERYONE
Working actively to create safer and more accessible space.
- WE ACTIVELY MITIGATE FOR POWER
Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
- WE AVOID BLAMING AND SHAMING
We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- WE ARE A NON-VIOLENT NETWORK
Using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- WE ARE BASED ON AUTONOMY AND DECENTRALISATION
We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion!
1. The governement must tell the truth about the current situation
The Government must tell the truth about how deadly our situation is, it must reverse all policies not in alignment with that position and must work alongside the media to communicate the urgency for change including what individuals and communities need to do.
2. Government must reduce carbon emissions by 2025
The Government must enact legally-binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions in Australia to zero by 2025 and take further action to remove the excess from the atmosphere. It must cooperate internationally so that the global economy runs on no more than half a planets worth of resources.
3. State of emergency & Citizens Assembly
By necessity these demands mean an initiative similar to those enacted at times of war. We do not however, hand further power to our Government, we demand a Citizens Assembly to oversee the changes, as we rise from the wreckage, creating a democracy fit for purpose.